Monday, June 20, 2011

Children's Literature

On another subject, I just seem to love children's literature. Like A Wrinkle in Time or The Neverending Story or The Little Prince. Oftentimes I think it's better than adult's literature (much better than teenage literature - there is no comparison there). Though I do like Charles Dickens, and The Lord of the Rings (though many have read that in their childhood, which I think is exceptional), I still more like children's books.

A prevailing influence, I think, is the innocence of childhood. The way children look at the world, I think, is fantastic. (Though I do like to consider myself still a child.) The power of imagination is perhaps the best practical superpower.

Hm. Perhaps this post isn't about children's literature. Though I love it, perhaps what I want to focus on is imagination. Fantasy. There's a quote by probably my favorite public figure ever, Albert Einstein: "When I examined myself, and my methods of thought, I came to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."

Now, I think Einstein is pretty cool. He turned the world's view of physics topsy-turvy. He was able to think up a whole brand new way of viewing the world. Sure he had to know facts and statistics and stuff like that, but he also had to imagine!

But that's getting off the point (what is the point? you ask? I'm not sure, but getting back to it...). On the subjects of books, my favorites always seem to be fantasy and science fiction. Why? Because they take lots of imagination to write and read. They engage your brain, with thoughts like "What if..?" or "What a strange thought..."

If you think about, imagination leads to progressive thinking. You have to imagine the possibilities ahead of you. Then also, is acting on what you imagine, but I'm not sure where I'm going with that...

Take Jules Verne, master of science fiction. He was a progressive thinker, with lots of imagination. You can see today lots of things that Verne predicted in his books.

I have this one radical dream. Now, this one probably won't ever become true, but I took it from my favorite books... I always imagine myself tessering (A Wrinkle in Time) to Middle Earth (Lord of the Rings). I dunno. Sounds kinda crazy. Probably not feasible. So my dream is to grow up to be a physicist (like my role model, Albert Einstein), discover a tesseract for real (I dunno. Maybe it's possible, what with hidden dimensions and everything) and somehow find Middle Earth in the middle of this great big universe. I would love to travel the forests there. The Entwood, Lothlorien, perhaps even Mirkwood, but I'm getting beside myself.

In truth, I also want to be a writer, somehow. Instead of using physics to explore literature, however, I might use literature to explore physics. Somehow it'll all work out. But probably, most of all, I'll end up being a mother, with my children to tell fantastic, unpublished stories to. That would be great as well, and their minds would be open to the worlds that imagination can create.

Sorry that was kind of long; I just sort of went off on a tangent (which I realized why that expression is used. A tangent line intersects a circle at only one point, and going off on a tangent could only relate to the topic on one point). Well, anyways, thanks for reading. catch you next time on... (drum roll...) the blog of Megan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment